1. Singapore Power Limited and its Singapore-incorporated subsidiaries (SP Group) own and operate the national electricity and gas transmission and distribution networks, providing electricity and gas services to more than one million industrial, commercial and residential customers in Singapore. SP Group also provides billing services for various principals in the water and waste industries, e.g., The Public Utilities Board, City Energy, Veolia ES Singapore Pte Ltd, Colex Environmental Pte Ltd, SembWaste Pte Ltd and 800 Super Waste Management Pte Ltd. (collectively, Third Party Utilities).
2. In connection with the provision of services from SP Group or Third Party Utilities to you, it is necessary for SP Group to collect, use and disclose your personal data. By continuing to use the services of SP Group you signify that you have read, understood and agree to SP Group’s collection use and disclosure of your personal data as described in this Policy.
Information we may collect from you
3. SP Group may collect the following data about you either directly from you, from your authorised representatives (i.e. persons who you have authorised and persons who have been validly identified as being you or your authorised representative) from third parties, or from publicly available sources:
- Personal information (such as your full name, NRIC, ethnicity, telephone numbers, address).
- Records from discussions or correspondences, including details obtained through customer satisfaction or other surveys.
- Details of your usage of SP Group or Third Party Utility services (including consumption and usage data and reports prepared by electricity or gas meter-readers).
- Information derived from cookies (small text files which uniquely identify your browser) where you visit any website or use any application created by or on behalf of the SP Group.
- Information you provide to any SP Group or any Third Party Utility in relation to the provision of any services from SP Group or a Third Party Utility to you.
Use and disclosure of personal data collected
4. You agree that SP Group may use your personal data where permitted by applicable law and for the following purposes:
- To provide and improve SP Group and Third Party Utility services including fulfilling audit requirements, performing creditworthiness checks and billing for services (including debt recovery).
- To compile information for analysis and in reports to our regulatory agencies and to the Third Party Utilities.
- To conduct surveys, obtain feedback, provide you with information, products or services from SP Group or third parties or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out your instructions or to respond to enquiries.
- To comply with any requirements obligations or arrangements for using or disclosing data that applies to any member of the SP Group or any Third Party Utility due to applicable laws, regulations or industry codes.
- For internal management of the services being provided to you.
- To maintain the security of our premises.
- To provide training and apply for grants.
- To carry out analytics, research, planning and statistical assessment.
- To develop new services and products.
- For other purposes as reasonably required to provide services to you.
5. In addition, you agree that SP Group may disclose your personal data where permitted by applicable law and for the following purposes:
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data where we believe that we are under a legal obligation to disclose; in order to enforce or apply agreed terms and conditions or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, security or safety of SP Group members, our customers, or premises, or others. The foregoing includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- To persons who have been validly identified as being you or your authorised representative(s) pursuant, for the purpose of the relevant transaction or enquiry.
- To authorised proxies such as your Member of Parliament or a social welfare organisation representing you.
- To third parties with whom we have contracted to provide services to us (such as analysis on our behalf) or within the SP Group for any of the purposes described above. Where SP Group discloses your personal data to third parties SP Group shall ensure that such data is used only to provide services to SP Group.
Storage of data, information security and applicability to third parties
6. The data we collect from you may be transferred to, processed, and stored at, multiple destinations worldwide. SP Group will take all steps as required by mandatory Singapore law in connection with any transfer of such data overseas.
7. SP Group will make reasonable security arrangements to prevent unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar activities to protect your personal data in SP Group’s possession or under SP Group’s control.
8. SP Group will require these data protection standards to be observed by external parties who provide services to SP Group and/or to whom we disclose your personal data, but we cannot and do not assume any responsibility for any actions or omissions of third parties.
Access to personal information
11. At your request, we will provide access to your personal data, save that in specified circumstances your access may be subject to fees to meet our costs.
12. SP Group may modify this Policy at any time by giving you written notice, such as together with your monthly bill. Continued use of any SP Group or Third Party Utility service after such written notification has been sent, signifies acceptance of any such modification.
Questions, Application for Access/Correction, Withdrawal of consent, Personal Data Retention and Disposal
13. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions regarding this Policy, we would be glad to hear from you. Please contact our SP Data Protection Office at:
SP Data Protection Office
2 Kallang Sector
14. Please also contact our SP Data Protection Office if you would like to apply for access/correction of your own personal data or if you would like us to cease use of your personal data for any purpose.
15. We will try to respond to your question or request promptly. We may however, depending on the nature of the question or request, need up to 30 days to provide you an estimate of when we will be able to respond to you.